Saturday, March 17, 2012

Catching the Bug

I was scheduled to run 4 1/2 miles this past Thursday.  I woke up around 4 am and doubled over in pain as I tried to race it to the bathroom.  I felt like someone had hit me in the stomach with a bat and it was apparent I was about to lose last nights dinner.  I spent most of Thursday morning (4-11am) sitting on my bathroom floor, realizing I had caught whatever nasty stomach bug was currently making its way around.  While lying on the floor of my bathroom, I-phone in hand, I messaged my "coach" and asked what was I to do.  I obviously couldn't run today, but I had 4 1/2 miles planned.  If you know me really well, you understand my obsession with "plans".  If I have a plan, I stick to it.  I don't like to veer off the path and I don't deal well with changes to said plan.  (This became quite challenging once I became a mom by the way, so I have in ways, learned to cope.)  My instructions from my "coach" were to wait till I felt 100% until I ran and to just pick up with my training at that time and not to play catch up.  In my mind, this meant run 4 1/2 Friday and wait to run my 9 miles on Sunday.  By Thursday evening, I had chills and a fever and fell asleep around 7pm.  When I woke drenched in sweat Friday morning, I was ecstatic that my fever had broken and I was feeling like myself again.  Well...more like myself with a pretty gnarly hangover.  I made it through work that morning and had an old patient visit me when we were finishing up in the office.  I shared with her my previous days adventure and told her my plan to run 4 1/2 later that day.  She looked at me like I was crazy.  I must add that this patient is one of my "crazy runner" patients who wouldn't slow down if you paid her.  She advised me to just rest and pick up again once I'm feeling better.  A patient just told me to basically stop acting crazy.  That's it.  I've definitely caught the bug.  I honestly didn't believe it until now.  Especially since it's 6 am on Saturday, and I'm sipping my coffee and about to have a little peanut butter toast.  At 7:30, my husband and I have a babysitter coming over to the house so we can run our 9 miles.  I have become one of "them".  I have caught the bug with no intention of getting better anytime soon!